Heavy Equipment Mechanic – Decatur
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: Heavy Equipment Mechanic requires the employee to make major repairs on trucks, trailers and heavy equipment used in the processing and transport of scrap metals. Employee must be physically able to lift or move up to 100 pounds. Must also be able to climb onto and sometimes into heavy machinery
- Diagnose and make routine repairs and service for trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment.
- Replace parts and components when necessary to rebuild units at regular intervals.
- Weld parts as necessary
- Operate the machine’s controls in order to perform the designated task within the machine’s capabilities
- Recognize the machine’s limitations in order to work safely in a large variety of job situations
- Recognize operational control problems and coordinate their repair with outside vendors.
- Train and assist the operators in the routine care of the machines
- Schedule equipment for and perform preventive maintenance on trucks and equipment, coordinating these activities with the yard operations manager
- Test equipment to check operation
- Ability to work safely alone in highly congested areas
- The ability to use hand tools and trade type tools
- The strength and dexterity to lift and move 50-100 pounds manually in the maintenance of equipment
- The agility and flexibility to climb on the various machine areas to grease and clean the machine components
- The ability and willingness to follow directions
- The ability to work together with other employees as a team