Commodities Trading Desk Assistant
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: An employee in this position will be responsible for assisting the Metals Manager in the daily administrative and clerical tasks as well as internal and external customer support related to commodities trading and brokered scrap. An employee in this position will be responsible for both internal record-keeping and processes as well as buy and sell-side customer support. This person reports directly to the Metals Manager.
- Answer and direct phone calls and provide external and internal customer support for scrap brokerage.
- Assist in the preparation of regularly scheduled reports for internal record-keeping.
- Develop and maintain a filing system for commodities trading records oversight and maintenance, as well as purchase orders, sales orders and invoicing of customers.
- Handle sensitive financial information in a confidential manner.
- Assign pick-up and delivery dates for brokered scrap.
- Modify documents including correspondence, reports, drafts, memos and emails for both internal and external communications.
- Utilize computers to generate reports and conduct research.
- Proven experience as an administrative assistant, office admin assistant or clerk
- Working knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Office.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Must possess an exemplary attention to detail for records oversight.
- Must demonstrate good communications skills, possess the ability to communicate verbally with customers, employees, and supervisors, both in-person and on the phone.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to pivot between multiple tasks in an efficient manner.
- Understanding of financial principles.
- Knowledge of scrap industry and/or transportation/logistics/commodities a plus.
2nd Shift Supervisor – Indianapolis
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The employee in this position oversees the personnel and the performance of their duties. This employee acts as the conduit for all inventories, production records and reports, updating the reports and files as well as distributing them to the appropriate managers. The employee will report directly to the Plastics Operations Manager for Mervis Industries, Inc. The candidate must be able to work 4 – 12 hour days although the current schedule is 8-10 hours/day, 5 days per week.
- Responsible for the organization, scheduling of staff and directing of the personnel involved in the production processes.
- Create the appropriate paper work to communicate to the Manager what materials are coming in and in what condition they are arriving.
- Balance quality, productivity, cost, safety and morale to achieve positive results in all areas
- Manage departmental performance measures, including visual controls and provides regular progress reports to manager.
- Performs training when necessary for forklift, safety, and first aid.
- Manage shift production priorities.
- Manages security of the facility.
- Oversees the safety and inspections of forklifts and other production equipment that are involved in the production process.
- Maintains a safe work environment for self and others.
- Administer the safety policy as it applies to the specific location.
- Track absenteeism and timekeeping.
- Ensure effective employee relations.
- Provide employee coaching and development.
- Resolve employee issues through problem resolution.
- Prepare and submit reports on individual and overall performance.
- Work to continuously improve in all areas.
- Associates degree or equivalent
- Previous supervisory experience in a manufacturing or warehouse setting.
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot in critical situations.
- Good math skills
- Fork lift experience
- Life Insurance
Crane Operator – Decatur
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: Using a mobile crane, the employee in this position will load and unload trucks as well as handling material for processing. The employee will need to have the agility to climb on and off the crane as well as move freely about the yard. This position reports directly to the yard foreman or manager and will work closely with the heavy equipment operators in feeding their processing equipment.
- Operate the machine’s controls in order to perform the designated task within the machine’s capabilities
- Recognize the machine’s limitations in order to work safely in a large variety of job situations
- Recognize operational control problems and report them to the supervisor so they can be adjusted or repaired
- Assist the mechanics in the repair and routine maintenance of the machines
- Unblemished work and attendance record
- Ability to work safely/ alone in highly congested areas
- The strength and dexterity to lift and move up to 50 pounds manually in the maintenance of equipment
- The agility and flexibility to climb on the various machine areas to grease and clean the various machine components
- The ability and willingness to follow directions and work with other employees as a team
- An extensive knowledge of safety requirements of working around heavy equipment
- The ability and willingness to learn new skills
- The ability to coordinate eye, hand, and foot movements
- Previous Heavy equipment experience especially Excavators (backhoes)
- Any recognized heavy equipment school certificate
- Any recognized job experience
- On-the-job training program conducted by an experienced and competent operator/employee
- Demonstrated ability to operate any specific piece of equipment mentioned in the job summary
Driver – Crawfordsville
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The employee in this position must operate a tractor trailer, operate a straight truck, spot roll-off boxes, spot trailers, and perform the daily maintenance that is necessary for the peak performance of the truck. The position also requires the driver to perform pick-ups as well as deliveries at a variety of locations and assist in the operation of equipment at the yard.
- Operate tractor trailer and straight truck, according to state laws and observing all traffic laws and safety regulations
- Operate roll-off controls or drop & hook trailer as required
- Make pick-ups and deliveries
- Climb loads for inspection of scrap material, hooking and unhooking controls, and covering loads with a tarp
- Spot roll-off boxes, dumpsters, and trailers
- Maintains any related paperwork and records
- Maintain equipment used in the performance of the job and reports any maintenance malfunctions to management
- Obtains the proper shipping documents with necessary signatures and returns the completed paperwork to the office
- Assists in the general labor duties where needed
- Drug free
- CDL class “A” license
- Must meet the DOT physical and medical requirements
- Unblemished work and attendance record
- The agility to climb on and off trucks for the loading of materials, hooking and unhooking air controls, and tarping loads
- A good driving record
- The strength and flexibility to lift and move 50 pounds manually
- Basic knowledge of the safety requirements of the job
- Basic knowledge of the vehicle he/she is to drive and the daily maintenance requirements
- Basic knowledge of the machinery he/she will be using in the yard
- The ability to follow directions and read maps
- A knowledge of the weight and load restrictions for the roll-off boxes, dumpsters, and trailers that will be pulled
- A minimum of 2 years of driving experience is required
Non Ferrous Operations Manager
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: Mervis Industries is seeking a Non Ferrous Operations Manager in Danville, Illinois. The employee in this position will oversee multiple non-ferrous locations. The essential functions may include, but not be limited to, supervision of all non-ferrous managers across several locations. Provide guidance to warehouse employees, review the process of grading scrap from both peddlers and industrial accounts, oversee and negotiate the pricing of parts needed for general operation and special projects.
Non Ferrous Operations Manager Duties:
- Reviews and approves adequate plans for the processing / shipment of material, prepares capital and operational budgets, reviews labor efficiency, engineering effectiveness and customer service.
- Reviews performance against operating plans and standards. Provides reports to subordinates on the interpretation of results and approves changes in direction of plans.
- Presents weekly reports on performance as requested by the President or his designate.
- Defines and recommends objectives in each area of operations. Develops both short-term and long-term plans and programs, together with supporting budget requests and financial estimates.
- Coordinates and collaborates with corporate department heads in establishing and carrying out responsibilities.
- Selects and maintains qualified personnel in all positions reporting directly to this manager and recommends compensation for them.
- Keeps employees informed as to Company/Department plans and progress.
- Oversee the marketing of all non-ferrous metals.
- Provides orientation and on-the-job training for subordinates and ensures that the authority and responsibility for each position are defined and understood.
- Ensures that duties, responsibilities, authority, and accountability of all direct subordinates are defined and understood.
Non Ferrous Operations Manager Experience Needed:
- Extensive experience in the scrap industry is essential
- 3-5 years in management and supervision
Non Ferrous Operations Manager Physical Demands:
- Must be able to occasionally climb and balance well enough to climb ladders, stoop, twist and bend. Must occasionally lift weights up to 50lbs.
Non Ferrous Operations Manager Benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, RX, 401K (accepts roll-over), EAP, Vacation, Holidays, Relocation assistance available.
Illini Castings 3rd shift Welder/Grinder
Hours 9pm – 5:30am SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: This job requires the employee to operate an eight inch grinder. Grinding coupler butts back to AAR specifications. This will require the employee to be trained in how to read a specified AAR gauge. It is required that the employee wear a welding jacket/leathers/3M respiratory PPE. The employee will need the stamina to stand and grind for approximately 7.5 hours a day.
- Grinding a 4×4 area to the recommended AAR gauge recommendations.
- Welding coupler ends to AAR gauge recommendations.
- After coupler is completed the employee must gauge to make sure that it meets the proper specifications.
- Housekeeping and any other duty specified by manager.